Thursday, June 2, 2016

Capsule Wardrobes



Long time, no post!

I've definitely been slacking on my posting on the blog since summer started (gotta love blogging burnout!) But, I was inspired to write a post after coming across the blog Unfancy. This blog documents Caroline's journey to nix cheap impulse buys and focus on creating wardrobe of versatile clothing she loved to wear.

So how did she do it?


Caroline's "capsule experiment" consists of using 37 items, including tops, bottoms, dresses, outerwear, and shoes, for three months (rotated each season), with no shopping during that period.

To me, the idea of only having 37 items of clothing to choose from sounds pretty scary at first. I feel like I'm good at creating good outfits, but for three months?

However, it all becomes clear when I look into my closet. I see items I like, but only wear once in a blue moon for different reasons (haven't found the right occasion, doesn't go with much, etc.) It was then that I started to see the purpose and practicality of the capsule wardrobe.

How great would it be to have a closet of versatile, timeless pieces that you love? That's the beauty of this type of wardrobe. I don't see myself purging my closet just yet, but Caroline suggests starting by finding 37 items from your own closet -go-to pieces that you love- and storing the rest, just to get used to living with less. I think I may have a project this week when I'm not at work!

So, just for fun, here's an example of what I think my summer capsule would look like!
Capsule Wardrobe



White Tank Patterned Tank Yellow Tank Denim Jacket Black Blouse Smart Blonde Graphic Tee Red T-Shirt Graphic Tee Pink Tank Striped Tank Chambray Shirt Peplum Tank White T-Shirt Black T-Shirt Blonde and Broke Image Map Capsule Wardrobe Swing Dress Maxi Dress Printed Shorts Boyfriend Jeans White Shorts High Waisted Shorts Overalls Black Swing Dress White Skinny Jeans Skinny Jeans Black Pull-On Shorts Blonde & Broke Fashion Blog Image Map Capsule Wardrobe Blonde & Broke Fashion Blog Image Map White Sneakers Birkenstocks Nude Flats Black Sandals Nude Sandals Red Flats Heeled Sandals
In my capsule, I only picked 33 items because Alabama summers don't call for many layers. I went for mainly basic items, but threw in a couple of bright colors and prints for good measure. Most of my items are from Madewell. Their clothes are on the pricey side, but are always impeccably made. Realistically, I would probably get most of my basics from Old Navy. They are always having fantastic sales, plus, I work there! (Snaps for employee discount!)

So to some, 37 or less items for three months may seem impossible, but as I created my mock-up capsule, I thought about all the outfits I could create using these items and it seems completely do-able! Plus, it's a great way to get creative with fashion and truly discover your style.

If you'd like to learn more, check out this article on The Everygirl where Caroline shares her tips for starting your own capsule wardrobe

So when it comes to the capsule wardrobe, in my opinion, less really is more.

Have a great day!


No comments:

Post a Comment